In this problem-solving game, we assign players a role on a starship and send a package of crucial supplies & information (including a secret individual goal). Only through communication, collaboration, and conflict resolution can they safely land Starship Icarus.
"Hello, crew members of the Starship Icarus! We submit our deepest apologies for waking you early from your cryosleep, but the ship has encountered some… unexpected issues that require your immediate attention. Take a look through your personnel packets, they have all the tools and information you’ll need. Ok crew, let’s get started."
Starship Icarus is an interactive virtual game, solving problems with the help of a live host. This game is designed in collaboration by an MIT and Stanford trained neurobiologist, an award-winning game designer, and a DEIB consultant/leadership coach. The game takes complex concepts of change management, conflict resolution, and consensus building and distills it down to simple and fun gameplay. Players work with the Starship Icarus’s AI (our actor/facilitator) to tackle a range of problems encountered by the ship.
During this game, participants will experience:
- Defusing the amygdala’s fight or flight response when situations get complicated through breathing and observation exercises.
- Productively managing the overwhelm of many urgent priorities, engaging skills of quickly building consensus to strategically prioritize.
- The complex balance of negotiating personal goals while achieving the team’s overall goals. What will your team members do when their personal goals conflict? Can they put aside their individual needs for the greater good of the team?
- The power of gratitude, especially in tense situations
- The benefits in eliminating hierarchy biases and holding space for even the most junior team member
- Communication and collaboration tasks that require participants to work together. Players are given siloed (or compartmentalized) information, where no one member of the team can see the entire problem or solution on their own.
- Opportunities to experiment in a low-stakes environment to encourage psychological safety
Each participant will be assigned a role in the game and will get a package of props, puzzles, information, etc.
In every package, we include a security badge, a personal goal (which may conflict with the team's overall goal or with another player's personal goal), an oxygen detection device, and a fun prop that will be used during the gameplay.
4 to 8 people • 1 hr • Kit delivery
90-minute activity, with approximately 60 minutes of gameplay and 15-30 minutes of facilitated discussion.
includes shipping cost
4 to 8 people • 2.5 hr • Kit delivery
Include an add-on workshop with our DEIB consultant and leadership coach. This can be scheduled immediately following the team’s gameplay or at a different time (availability varies).
includes shipping cost
US Delivery is included. Canada/International shipping is an additional $40/kit. We ship all packages via FedEx Express 2 Day Shipping. Please, no PO Boxes.
This is a virtual event.
A Zoom link is provided by default in your confirmation email, but you can use other video conferencing software if you prefer.
Everything you need will be provided for you in the packages, or you will be instructed to gather it during the game.
This event is new. Have you tried it already?
Grace period: free cancellation within 24 hours of booking deposit (Unless booked within 48 hours of the event start time). After that, cancel at least 14 days prior to the event to receive a full refund (minus service fee).