50+ Fun & Creative Icebreaker Questions For Work
Trying to break the ice with new and remote teammates? We've assembled the BEST icebreaker questions that are perfect for connecting with co-workers!
By the Offsyte Team, August 13, 2021
We know it can be hard to make conversation with your remote colleagues or those in your office. Whether you’re a remote employee or are part of an onsite team, it’s important to break the ice and get to know your co-workers!
So at Offsyte, we’ve compiled 50+ fun & creative icebreaker questions for work, broken down into 5 categories:
- Getting to know you
- “Would you rather…”
- Funny questions guaranteed to make your team laugh 😂
- Oddball questions
- “I’m curious about…”
Getting to know you
Learn more about your team members through asking these “Get To Know You!” questions:
- What’s a fun fact about you that people normally don’t know?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- What was your favorite childhood book, and why?
- What was your favorite board game growing up?
- As a child, what was your dream job?
- What’s a new hobby you picked up over the past year?
- What’s your favorite movie?
- If you could get any food delivered to you right now, what would you get?
“Would you rather…”
Break down barriers and get your team talking with questions that spark some lively (and often hilarious) debate!
Would you rather…
- …have the power of flight or invisibility?
- …have a pause button or a rewind button for your life?
- …have a self-driving car or a completely automated home?
- …sing like a rock star or cook like a gourmet chef?
- …speak to animals or speak 10 foreign languages?
- …lose your phone or your passport?
Funny questions guaranteed to make your team laugh 😂
One sure way to keep your team’s spirits high on the job is by injecting humor into your weekly meetings. Get everyone involved from the get-go with an amusing question!
- What was the worst style choice you ever made?
- What’s your most used emoji? 🤔
- Which horrible fashion trend (of the past or present) do you secretly like?
- Which movie have you seen more times than you care to admit?
- What is your biggest guilty pleasure?
- What’s your strangest talent?
- What’s the worst movie you ever saw?
- What is your favorite useless fact?
- Who was your celebrity crush growing up?
Asking “odd” questions can help break the ice and get your team on track for success!
Your team’s creative minds can start exploring all kinds of pathways when faced with something new and unfamiliar.
- What’s the one task in your life that you would NEVER trust a robot to do?
- Which of your fellow teammates is the most likely to escape a deserted island alive, and why? (Or do you think you’re the sole survivor?)
- What’s the most adventurous dish that you’ve ever eaten? Where?
- What food combo might seem strange to others, but you really love?
- Which weapon would you wield in a zombie apocalypse?
- What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten for breakfast that is not considered a traditional breakfast food?
“I’m curious about…”
Curiosity fuels creativity and innovation, helping your team unlock new ideas. These curious questions can lead the way:
- If you could devise a new invention, what would you create?
- If a movie was made of your life, who would play you? What genre would it be?
- If you could time travel, what time period would you visit? Past or future?
- If you could visit Mars, and money was no object, would you go?
- If you had to choose a fictional world to live in (whether a book, tv show, movie, or game), which one would you pick?
- If you could travel anywhere, and you had unlimited funds, where would you go?
- If you could star on a TV series, which one would you pick?
- If you chose a career all over again, what would you do?
- If you never had to sleep, what would you do with all those extra hours each day?
- If you could instantly pick up a new skill without any effort, what would it be?
- If you were stuck on a desert island for three months, what ten things would you take with you and why?
- If you were famous, what would you be famous for?
- If you had to sing karaoke right now, which song would you pick?
- What is the best festival you’ve ever attended?
- What is a food you’re curious about, but have never tried?
- What’s your biggest pet peeve?
- What song is impossible to get out of your head once it is there?
- Which streaming TV show did you binge-watch embarrassingly fast?
- What was the first job you ever had?
- Do you collect anything? (or, Did you collect anything as a child?)
- What’s your favorite time of year? Why?
- What item is on your bucket list that you really hope to do one day?
- Which celebrity do you shamelessly follow in the news?
- What is the most underrated song that you think everyone should listen to?
- What sport would you compete in if you were in the Olympics?
- What’s the best thing about working virtually? What do you miss?
Our team-building activities foster a sense of camaraderie, and empower teams (whether in-person or remote) to work together more productively while having a whole lot of fun.
If you’re looking for some new ways to engage with your team members or want to improve company morale, consider checking out some awesome Offsyte events:
- Games - team trivia, scavenger hunts, escape rooms & puzzles
- Arts & Crafts - paint and sips, tie-dye, origami, succulent planting workshops, and more
- Food & Drinks - become a master chef or mixologist
Creating opportunities for teams to connect, laugh, and even play together outside the workplace fosters a positive work culture that leads to happy, engaged employees. Come check out:
16 Amazing Virtual Team Building Activities We Love In 2022 🔥🔥🔥
Get more team-nurturing insights
We're always looking for new ways to help you deepen relationships with your team. We'll email you the newest findings as we discover them. No spam. We promise.