Ice breaker questions get a bad rap, but when they’re done right, they’re extremely helpful - especially at events. Use these ice breakers at your next company gathering.
Ice breaker questions get a bad rap, but when they’re done right, they’re extremely helpful - especially at events.
Whether you’re hosting a charity gala or a virtual team-building event, like a Blind Wine Tasting Event or the Amazing Cyberspace Race, ice breaker questions get people talking. You can even try professionally guided classes like Interactive Icebreakers or Good Bye Small Talk, Hello Connection.
If you plan to go the DIY route, use this list below to fuel your own ice breakers:
15 Fun, light-hearted ice breaker questions
- If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
- Does your car have a name? If so, what?
- What’s the oddest gift you’ve ever given?
- What song best describes your life?
- If you were the star of your own reality show, what would it be called?
- What’s your most used emoji?
- What apps do you use most on your phone?
- What fashion trend did you embrace when you were young, but would never wear now?
- If you had to eat the same lunch every day, what would it be?
- If you aliens landed on earth and asked you to go see their planet, would you go?
- If the zombie apocalypse happens, what three possessions would try to protect?
- What’s the oddest event or show you’ve ever been to?
- If you could be famous for something, what would it be?
- If you were a Disney character, who would you be and why?
- What’s something you do that embarrasses your kids?
15 Ice breaker questions to get to know each other better
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
- Where did you grow up?
- What’s a family outing look like? Who’s there and where are you going?
- Do you consider yourself a listener or a talker?
- What are your three best personality traits?
- If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why?
- What’s the worst holiday experience you’ve ever had?
- What two things frustrate you?
- What’s a simple gesture of appreciation that makes your day better?
- What’s your favorite music genre?
- Who’s the last person you sent a text to? Who is this person?
- What’s your morning routine look like?
- What’s your dream job?
- Where do you want to retire?
- Complete the sentence, “I wish I could…”
10 Ice breaker questions that focus on professional success
- What professional goals have you set for yourself?
- What kind of traits are needed to thrive in this industry? Why?
- Tell us about a problem that you solved in the office recently.
- What motivates you to work hard?
- What skills are you currently working to improve?
- If you could give an intern one piece of advice based on your working history, what would it be?
- What needs to happen during your workday so you feel accomplished when you leave?
- How do you stay positive in the office?
- What’s the most challenging part of your job?
- If you weren’t in your current role, what would you be doing?
10 "Would you rather" questions
- Would you rather be an Olympian or a Nascar Driver?
- Would you rather be an animal who lives on land or in the ocean?
- Would you rather be the star of a reality TV show or help produce it behind the scenes?
- Would you rather be funny or clever?
- Would you rather have the ability to fly or be super strong?
- Would you rather be hot or cold?
- Would you rather be the driver or the passenger?
- Would you rather see a concert with your child or go see a musician from your childhood?
- Would you rather run a marathon or cheer the runners on from the sidelines?
- Would you rather eat pizza or fish?
These ice breaker questions get guests talking, and that’s the whole point. A room full of engaged, comfortable people is the best way to start a company event. Be it Team Trivia or 80s Mall Murder Mystery, whatever your next event, give these ice breakers a try.